Store bought shampoo can be tough on your hair. In fact, it’s full of chemicals and preservatives that can actually do more harm than good, especially if you are washing your hair every day.
Organic products, like Aveda or Ogx are better options, but they still contain preservatives and unnatural ingredients. Confusing, right? Beauty products that are labeled organic actually only need to contain 70% organic ingredients. What are the other 30% of the ingredients in your shampoo?
Preservatives: These are added to increase the shelf life of your shampoo. Some stronger preservatives, like parabens tend to be stronger and can evoke an allergic reaction or irritation.
Surfactants: The ingredient that causes your shampoo to lather, surfactants are added to just about every store bought shampoo.
Color: Most shampoo brands add artificial dyes for purely aesthetic reasons.
Fragrance: The fragrance used to scent a single shampoo can contain thousands of chemicals.
The FDA now requires all beauty products to list the percentage of organic ingredients, and there are 100% organic options that you can buy, so make sure you check the label before you purchase new shampoo.